An open letter of thanks to the Greater Kansas City Community

May is traditionally the time when your local Susan G. Komen affiliate kicks off Race for the Cure registration and fundraising efforts in earnest. This year we are thrilled to be returning to Union Station in the heart of Downtown Kansas City for the 23rd Annual Race on August 14, 2016.

More than 15,000 breast cancer survivors, co-survivors, sponsors, vendors, volunteers and Race participants will descend on downtown Kansas City later this summer. And no matter if you race, run, jog or walk, your involvement counts in the fight to save lives and the fight to end breast cancer forever. Through two-plus decades of partnerships, collaborations, advocacy and fundraising your local Susan G. Komen affiliate has led the way in battling this disease locally, regionally, nationally and globally.

Here are some key statistics to consider:

  • Komen Kansas City has invested more than $11.3 million locally in our 17 county, Kansas and Missouri, service area over the past 23 years.
  • These local programs help those facing breast cancer pay medical and treatment expenses, insurance co-pays, living expenses, medical supplies, even groceries and transportation to treatment including critical programs as patient navigation and underwriting the costs for life-saving mammograms and clinical breast exams.
  • Komen Kansas City has invested more than $3.8 million in our global research program. These funds combine with other affiliates for grants to best and brightest minds around the world. More than $6 million has come back to the University of Kansas Cancer Center through these grants alone.
  • In 150 cities worldwide, Races for the Cure have helped Susan G. Komen invest more in breast cancer research than any other nonprofit (More than $889 million).
  • Collectively, we’ve invested double that amount – $1.95 billion – in grants to local agencies that help women, men and families every day.
  • Our focus is on low-income, uninsured, underinsured and otherwise medically vulnerable people whose cancer diagnosis brings financial and emotional crises as well as a medical crisis.
  • Eighty-one cents of every dollar Komen spent in Fiscal Year 2015 funded research and mission programs. Just 9% paid for overhead; 10% covered the costs of putting on the Races and events that raise the money that we then re-invest in our mission. (See for more information).
  • Up to 75% of the money raised locally stays in the community; the other 25% funds our global research program.
  • Everyone who has raced, run, jogged, walked, volunteered or fundraised at a Race for the Cure has helped to reduce breast cancer death rates by 36% since 1989.
  • Thanks to the supporters who participate in our events more treatments and options have been made available to women than at any time in our history – with even more breakthroughs on the horizon.

None of this is possible without you standing next to us in the fight: Racing for the cure with us each and every year. And by investing your time, talents and treasures to work towards a world without breast cancer we are in this fight together and together we are stronger.

On behalf of our staff, board of directors, volunteers and all of the breast cancer community we are honored to work with we thank you for your support and look forward to seeing you on Race Day August 14 at Union Station!


Carli Good
Executive Director

More information about our Race can be found at

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s