Meet the Komen KC Staff: Michael A. Levine
This week we focus on collaborations … our Komen Kansas City staff are the ultimate face of collaborations with everything they do 365 days a year. Our team is made up of professionals that constantly move our mission forward with their strategic thinking and detailed oriented tactics that have made our affiliate one of the best in the country. We took a break from our typical #NBCAM content to include a brief bio on each of our team! Take a look and get a chance to meet the Komen KC staff!
- Hometown: Bridgeport, CT
- Lived in the Greater Kansas City are for: 17 Years Kansas City
(2 years in Lawrence, KS)
- Position Title: Communications & Marketing Manager
- Your position description in 140 characters or less: Plan & execute the digital, print & broadcast voice of #KomenKC while integrating our mission & engaging w/ the #breastcancer community.
- Komen Connection (Why are you here?): My nonprofit career has spanned 25+ years and almost all of them have been about helping those who cannot help themselves. Komen Kansas City and the entire Susan G. Komen Affiliate Network have dedicated their efforts to this mission and more. As a son, brother, husband and, most importantly, a father I want to use my skill set to spread this message and help those who need our assistance most.
- Favorite Part of working for Komen: There is never a boring day at the Komen KC offices! One day you are crafting a script for a breast cancer awareness event and the next day you are unloading a semi-trailer filled with bottled water for the Race for the Cure. One day you answer the phone and can be speaking with someone who just received a breast cancer diagnosis and they are looking for resources and guidance as to what to do next. One day you are serving as the voice of Komen KC on every digital platform imaginable and the next day you are setting up a live remote from a university research laboratory at 6AM. Never the same and never boring!
- Other organizations you volunteer for? Connecting for Good; Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy; Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City; Brookside Soccer Club; Nonprofit Connect; and Social Media Club of Kansas City.
- Something no one in this office knows about you (until now): I taught sailing, swimming, canoeing, CPR and lifeguard training right out of high school in Northern Wisconsin as well as in Omaha, NE.
- Favorite KC Sports Team (Pro or College): Kansas University Jayhawks Basketball (easy to root for KU Basketball; not so easy to root for KU Football). This is followed by the Nebraska Cornhuskers Football and Sporting KC.
- If you didn’t work for Komen what else would you be doing? Owning and operating a culinary education training center to elevate the caliber of talent in the Greater Kansas City community as well as to provide a place for unemployed and/or homeless workers to hone their skills and acquire meaningful, and long-lasting, employment. The center would also offer a small-scale coffee shop as well as a full-scale catering service (Note: the business plan is written and the model has already been proven; Just need to raise the funds, find the space and execute the plan)
Do you have something to share with a Komen KC staff member/intern? You can email Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org.